Friday, June 19, 2009

Jazzcouver Now


The Vancouver Jazz Festival is the reason I moved to Canada. Well, it was one incentive anyway, but a very big one. On vacation in 2002, my hubby and I happened upon an afternoon show at the Performace Works theater on Granville Island, and digging the cool patio scene, I thought, this the place I want to live. So, after we moved to Vancouver in 2005, I signed us up to volunteer for the 2006 festival. Our assignment? At Performance Works, where I first fell in love with Vancouver. Four years later, I'm a Crew Chief there.

Vancouver's Jazz Festival has been running for 24 years and repeatedly wins the National Jazz Award for best Canadian jazz festival. I'm not surprised. This year, over 1800 Artists will play 400 Performances at different 40 Venues between June 26 and July 5. If the music were food, the festival would be a smorgasbord. For ten days in June there is jazz everyday, everywhere in this mountain-hugged city and the air crackles with synchronous energy. Jazz of all styles - blues, funk, Latin, fusion, electronica and world music - is there for immediate consumption. Most of the shows play downtown and around False Creek, and if the weather continues to be mild, venue hopping is not only easy, but a great way to see the city.

Bill and I will endeavor to attend as many shows as possible and post whatever happens. The festival starts next Friday but over the next week I'll post videos of past shows.

Dig it.
-Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment